Daniel Kushner, MD
Obstetrics and Gynecology located in White Plains, NY & Queens, NY
Birth control comes in many forms, providing women with a multitude of options to choose from that will work best for their body, values, and lifestyle. At Daniel Kushner, MD, in White Plains and Queens, New York, Dr. Kushner and his team provides top-notch care and support for women looking to start or who are currently using birth control. To find out more about birth control options, call or book online.
Birth Control Q & A
What is birth control?
Birth control, also called contraception, is any medicine, method or device that prevents a woman from getting pregnant. Each of these prevention options works in different ways to prevent pregnancy and have varying levels of effectiveness.
What are the various types of birth control?
There are medical and nonmedical types of birth control. Some are types that you perform on a daily basis or each time you have sex, and others that will last for years. The following is a list of birth control types, listed in order of effectiveness with the most effective at the top. They include:
- Essure female tubal ligation and male vasectomy: These are surgical and permanent sterilization options
- Intrauterine devices and hormonal implants: These long-acting and reversible contraceptives are inserted once and can last from three to ten years, depending on the method used
- Pill, mini pill, patch, shot, vaginal ring: These short-acting hormonal methods last for a short period of time and require you to take it every day or monthly
- Condoms, diaphragms, sponge, cervical cap: These barrier methods require you to use them each time you have sex
- Ovulation and fertility monitoring: These natural rhythm methods require women to avoid having sex or uses birth control around highly fertile times
Each of these birth control types has specific instructions to follow in order to be effective. Dr. Kushner will provide comprehensive education and material on your choice.
What will be discussed at my appointment?
Dr. Kushner will take time and care to discuss important issues that will help you decide which method of birth control is right for you. Some of the topics include:
- If you wish to become pregnant
- The effectiveness of each method
- Side effects of each method
- If you are currently sexually active
- Your overall health and history
- Lifestyle preferences, such as your willingness to use a condom or take the pill
It’s also important to remember that your preference for a certain method may change over time depending on your specific needs.
What is an intrauterine device?
An Intrauterine device (IUD) is a small, T-shaped device that Dr. Kushner inserts into the uterus to prevent pregnancy. At 99 percent effective, IUDs are one of the most effective methods of birth control available and can last anywhere from three to ten years. They are reversible, so you can get pregnant as soon as you have it removed.
Dr. Kushner is dedicated to finding the right birth control method that works for you and your lifestyle. To learn more about birth control, please call or book your appointment online.